JSI’s cable TV/video clients are reminded that the next nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System (EAS) will be on September 28, 2016, at 2:20 p.m. EDT. A secondary test, if needed, is scheduled for October 5. All cable TV providers, broadcast radio and broadcast TV operators must participate in the national test and report the test’s results on the new electronic EAS Test Reporting System (ETRS). The FCC also issued a Public Notice on August 19 revising the EAS Operating Handbook.
All EAS participants should be aware of the following filing deadlines associated with the ETRS:
- Form One must be filed on or before August 26 – this Friday.
- Form One filings may be edited until September 26.
- New EAS Operating Handbook must be at the EAS operators’ location before the National Test on September 28.
- Form Two must be filed on or before 11:59 p.m. EDT on September 28 (day of national test).
- Form Three must be filed on or before November 14.
Company personnel should be reviewing their state plans to verify any changes in monitoring; check to ensure the national code “000000” will be transmitted through their system; have the EAS Operating Handbook at the operator’s station or EAS equipment location; and ensure EAS equipment clocks are synchronizing to the official time provided by the National Institute of Standards and Technology.
If you have any questions on the National EAS Test or need assistance with the ETRS filings, please contact Valerie Wimer in JSI’s Maryland office at 301-459-7590.
Source: JSI e-Lert